Thursday, November 30, 2006

Civil War Reenacting

Hello! Check out the clothing emporium in the links. Even if you have to travel as far as we do to get there, if you are interested in period clothing, it is worth it. I have not written in a while, and I feel bad about that. I am a Civil War Reenactor. My brother and I reenact together as a brother-sister pair. I am living history, which means that I do not participate in mock battles. I have a dress that barely fits me, even though I made it only a year ago. I am really growing. I will soon be making a new dress. It will either be a Zouave style or a day dress with cap sleeves. I have yet to decide which one I will do.I will also be making a coat (called a palatote during the Civil War) with grey/black felt and bright blue trim. I do not yet have a hoop, but I have several petticoats which help to poof out my skirt.
My brother is a soldier. He has a 1861 Springfield (repro.) that weighs 10 pounds. It is really heavy. They do not fire bullets (of course), but they do fire powder and caps. He also wears a muslin shirt with suspenders. He says that the suspenders are hard to get used to, and I can imagine! He wears woolen pants and an itchy coat. Over his coat he wears his belt which holds his coat in place. He attaches his powder box and his bayonet to a strap that he wears over one shoulder. He also has to wear a canteen with which he can drink out of in the heat of the battle.
We both get to go three reenactments a year. I cannot wait until the next reenactment coming next year.

No comments: